About the National Space Centre
The National Space Centre is the UK’s largest visitor attraction dedicated to space and space exploration, welcoming around a quarter of a million visitors each year since its opening in June 2001. Venue Hire is a vital part of the business, exploiting the highly themed surroundings of the award-winning building and exhibition to provide a unique experience. It has become firmly established as one of East Midlands’ unique, premier event’s venue; hosting 250 events and welcoming 16,000 corporate visitors per year. It offers a unique venue for a wide range of corporate events, from conferences to product launches, team building missions and evening dinners.
For additional information visit www.venuehire.spacecentre.co.uk
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Events Manager, with a ‘hands-on’ approach to event management to join the Corporate Hospitality Team at the National Space Centre, to deliver ‘out of this world’ events to our customers.
You will be responsible for managing the whole event delivery for corporate hospitality events and to ensure that first class customer service is provided on every occasion. You should have experience of supervising a team, managing and running large and small events and be passionate about delivering high quality corporate hospitality events. You should have good IT skills and be proficient in Microsoft packages. The role requires flexible working, to include early mornings, later evenings and weekends.
Please refer to the Job Description below.
Salary £27,000 - £30,000 depending upon experience.
Working with Children – A Disclosure is required for this role. Information about the Disclosure service can be found at the Directggov website.
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter via BambooHR.
Further information about the National Space Centre may be found on our website https://spacecentre.co.uk/
Candidate privacy statement: https://spacecentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/National_Space_Centre_GDPR_Candidate_privacy_notice-2.pdf
Job Title: Events Manager
Responsible to: Senior Events Manager
Responsible for: Day-to-day supervision of Assistant Event Manager, Events Assistant(s) and casual staff on events.
Major Objectives: To manage day-to-day delivery of corporate hospitality events held at the National Space Centre and to ensure that first class customer service is provided on every occasion.
- To provide excellent customer service throughout the event process. This includes coordinating all internal departments, and any other services that are required including external suppliers.
- Complete all pre-event preparation listed in admin tasks.
- Coordinate the set-up and breakdown of events.
- Liaise and coordinate all external suppliers
- Be the main point of contact during events and ensure that all event requirements are fulfilled.
- Regularly inspect corporate hospitality facilities and reporting any faults to the relevant department.
- Work as Duty Manager for ‘out of hours’ corporate events, making operational decisions to ensure consistently high standard of service is delivered.
- Coordinating periodic deep clean of corporate rooms.
- Ensure that event requirements are determined and meet the customer’s requirements, assisting with any reasonable additional requests.
- Proactively seek feedback from event organisers both on the day of their event and post-event. Recognise sales opportunities and forward to the sales team.
- Ensure that all company policies/procedures, including GDPR, PCI and fire & evacuation procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that all health & safety procedures are adhered to and in line with training.
- Assist with any ad-hoc duties necessary to ensure a successful event, including undertaking space crew duties, assisting with housekeeping and similar.
- Manage and run Christmas parties, Valentines and any other special events.
- Create and deliver special events to promote new corporate business.
Management of staff
- Supervise and coordinate event staff on events ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Liaise with all departments and casual staff to ensure events are staffed.
- Respond to any staff issues that you become aware of with appropriate action and report this to management when required.
- Work alongside HR to recruit and train all event service staff
- Arrange and perform refresher training courses.
- Liaise with all departments to ensure events are staffed (including casual staff)
- Assist Senior Events Manager in appraisals
- Rota event staff and distribute.
- Provide knowledge and expertise to the sales team to assist in responding to any corporate hospitality enquiries and provide additional support as required.
- Conduct high quality guided tours of event spaces and introductory talks to corporate groups if required.
- Complete regular stock takes on bar and event equipment for corporate events.
- Complete orders as and when necessary (e.g. bar, stationary)
- Undertake event preparation, including but not limited to:
- Booking staff and ensuring this monitored to be at the correct level inline with the event.
- Communicating relevant information to the correct teams (e.g. dietaries, floats)
- Event Signage (electronic and paper)
- Work as a part of the day operational team, including during peak visitor periods.
- Attend and contribute to regular corporate team meetings, showcases and exhibitions as required.
- Provide and develop new ideas, products and present to the rest of the corporate team
- Undertake in-house and external training as necessary.
- Compile and write blogs for the corporate website.
- Other reasonable tasks as may be designated
35 hours per week, with flexibility of times to ensure cover for corporate events. This will include regular early mornings, late evenings and weekends.
National Space Centre offices with some occasional traveling off-site to attend meetings and events.
- At least five years’ experience in a customer focused environment.
- Experience in managing and running large and small events.
- Experience in managing staff
- Ability to lead small and large teams.
- Passionate about delivering high quality corporate hospitality events.
- IT skills and competency in Microsoft packages.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and to remain flexible in all situations, maintaining a positive and friendly attitude.
- Ability to remain professional, and to adapt to a variety of often challenging situations.
- To behave in a professional manner at all times, in keeping with National Space Centre’s values and standards.
- Excellent organisational skills and high attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
- Ability to work alone and as a member of a team.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to handle a variety of task/priorities.