Senior Events Manager
About the National Space Centre
The National Space Centre is the UK’s largest visitor attraction dedicated to space and space exploration, welcoming around a quarter of a million visitors each year since its opening in June 2001. Venue Hire is a vital part of the business, exploiting the highly themed surroundings of the award-winning building and exhibition to provide a unique experience. It has become firmly established as one of East Midlands’ unique, premier event’s venue, hosting 250 events and welcoming 16,000 corporate visitors per year. It offers a unique venue for a wide range of corporate events, from conferences to product launches, team building missions and evening dinners.
For additional information visit www.venuehire.spacecentre.co.uk
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Events Manager to join the Venue Hire Team at the National Space Centre.
The candidate will have a ‘hands-on’ approach and will deliver all corporate hospitality events to the highest level ensuring a smooth delivery on the day.
You will be responsible for managing the overall operational delivery team for corporate hospitality events and to ensure that first class customer service is provided on every occasion.
You should have experience of supervising a team, managing and running large and small events and be passionate about delivering high quality corporate hospitality events. You should have good IT skills and be proficient in Microsoft packages. The role requires flexible working, to include early mornings, later evenings and weekends.
Salary – competitive depending upon skills and experience.
Please refer to the Job Description.
Working with Children – A Disclosure is required for this role. Information about the Disclosure service can be found at the Directggov website.
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter via BambooHR.
Further information about the National Space Centre may be found on our website https://spacecentre.co.uk/
Candidate privacy statement: https://spacecentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/National_Space_Centre_GDPR_Candidate_privacy_notice-2.pdf
Job Title: Senior Events Manager
Responsible to: Head of Events
Responsible for: Supervision of event delivery team.
To manage the overall operational delivery team for corporate hospitality events held at the National Space Centre and to ensure that first class customer service is provided on every occasion.
- To manage and lead the delivery team.
- To ensure delivery team provide excellent customer service throughout the event process.
- Ensure the delivery team has the resources and training required to fulfil their tasks.
- Be the clients main point of contact for events and ensure that all event requirements are fulfilled.
- Ensure that event requirements are determined and meet the customer’s requirements, assisting with any reasonable additional requests.
- Proactively seek feedback from event organisers both on the day of their event and post-event.
- Provide cover as Duty Manager for ‘out of hours’ corporate events in absence of relevant team members, making operational decisions to ensure consistently high standard of service is delivered.
- Maintain and regularly review corporate related risk assessments in line with review periods.
- Ensure that all company policies/procedures, including GDPR, PCI and fire & evacuation procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that all health & safety procedures are adhered to and in line with training.
- Coordinate the organisation and planning of corporate managed events such as, for example, Christmas parties and Cosmic Valentine.
- Liaise and coordinate all external suppliers as required.
- Assist with the day-to-day running of events as required.
- Create and deliver special events to promote new corporate business.
Management of staff
- Supervise and coordinate full time delivery team promoting a positive ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Ensure all staff receive relevant training as and when required.
- Assist delivery team to recruit and train all event service staff.
- Conduct delivery team appraisals.
- Rota for delivery team and distribute weekly.
- Ensure timesheets for casual staff are prepared and submitted within correct timescales.
- Assist with the maintenance and management of stock system.
- Assist the sales team in responding to any corporate hospitality enquiries and provide additional support as required.
- Recognise sales opportunities and forward to the sales team.
- To review and approve requisitions required for events.
- Communicating relevant information to the correct teams (e.g. dietary and technical requirements)
- Attend health and safety meetings and ensure that all health and safety procedures, including fire and evacuation procedures and adhered to.
- Regularly inspect corporate hospitality facilities and reporting any faults to the relevant department.
- Continually monitor competitors and provide the Head of Events with briefings of new ideas, product development etc.
- Provide and develop new ideas, products and present to the rest of the corporate team
- Attend and contribute to regular corporate team meetings, showcases and exhibitions as required.
- Undertake in-house and external training as necessary.
- Other reasonable tasks as may be designated
35 hours per week, with flexibility of times to ensure cover for corporate events. This will include regular early mornings, late evenings and weekends.
National Space Centre offices with some occasional traveling off-site to attend meetings and events.
- At least ten years experience in a customer focused environment.
- Experience in managing and running large and small events.
- Experience in managing staff
- Experience of writing and reviewing risk assessments
- Experience of working in a high pressured environment
- Ability to lead small and large teams.
- Passionate about delivering high quality corporate hospitality events.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and to remain flexible in all situations, maintaining a positive and friendly attitude.
- Ability to remain professional, and to adapt to a variety of often challenging situations.
- To behave in a professional manner at all times, in keeping with National Space Centre’s values and standards.
- Excellent organisational skills and high attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
- IT skills and competency in Microsoft packages.
- Ability to work alone and as a member of a team.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to handle a variety of task/priorities.
- Experience of sales is an advantage